Thursday, April 19, 2012

Adapting the Book

There are several scenes in Catch me if you Can that are vital for a print to screen adaptation. One of those scenes is the scene in which Frank first becomes a pilot. I think it is important that this be kept because it is the start of Frank’s career. The rush of being a pilot is what gets him addicted to conning people. It establishes his confidence in his particular art, and it is vital to the overall story. I also think the scene where Frank has to impersonate an FBI agent to retrieve his check should be in the film. For the most part this is important because it shows that Frank is still a kid. He makes stupid mistakes like writing his real name and address on checks, but it also shows how bold and determined he is to not get caught. He knew impersonating an FBI agent would make the search for him personal with the real FBI agents. This should be kept in the film. Finally, the scene when Frank is finally caught and forced to spend 6 months in the French prison should be kept. His cruel and unusual punishments in the French jail system added to his desperation to never be caught again and also shaped his personality. You don’t spend six months void of human contact, sleeping in your own filth in a dark hole, without it having some effect on how you see the world.
When adapting the book I would cut the scenes where Frank is living comfortably for some time in a small French village. He doesn’t really do much there but meander around and waste time. This part of the book is not important to the film. I would also cut Franks many flings with women out of the film. Most of his exploits with the women were shallow and would do nothing but up the rating of the film and eliminate a potential target audience. The longer flings should be included however. The girl he intended to marry played an important role in Franks life as did Monique and he father, therefor they should be kept.

3 comments:

  1. I think I am going to read this book after I see the movie. It sounds like such a sweet idea. I already really want to know more about the story because of your post. YEAH YEAH YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, and I would like to say that I like the scenes that you left out. I think that those scenes are not too important and can be left. I was thinking that something else that could be left would be the complete extent of the French prison. I know that it is a very important, but it is pretty brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie or read the book but it sounds like the scenes you cut were not that important and were good scenes to get rid of. Sounds like a good book and movie!

    ReplyDelete