Thursday, March 22, 2012

What is a Book?

To me, a book is an island. It’s totally secluded and it can be relaxing or it can be a great adventure. It can make you fall in love with things you never thought you would, and it can break your heart. That’s the thing with books, they take you to places you’ve never been and make you feel things you’ve never felt before. My honest opinion is that it doesn’t matter how you read a book, it just matters that you do. I love reading on my Nook. I still get transported to that island, I still fall in love, I still feel the rush of adventure. That doesn’t go away no matter what medium you get the story from. Meno is right, the same message is still there. Story telling has changed and it’s still survived. Things change and evolve but that doesn’t mean one way is leaving something behind. Sure the e-reader is different than a book but you still get the most vital thing, you still get that island.
That being said, I also agree with Sales. I don’t know what I’d do without my copies of 66 Love Letters or Open with their torn up pages, the underlined and highlighted text, and the scribbled notes in the margins. I love those books. They are two of my favorites, but they wouldn’t be the same to me without all of their notes and rips. Sure I could get another copy of Open, but it wouldn’t have the same effect on me if it was missing my coffee stain on the last four pages. It just wouldn’t be my copy without my favorite quote underlined in blue pen and covered in pink highlighter. I would still get transported to that island no matter what copy of that book I read, but with my hard copy, I go to the island that I feel is mine in every way. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that books are like an island where you can isolate yourself and just read! Also, I think books can out different emotions when reading.

    ReplyDelete